A film poster is a printed form of advertisement for films. They began life as placards listing the programme of the night that were placed inside and outside of a movie theatre. illustrations of a scene in the film or a sequence or collage of images were used as a design for movie posters by the early 1900s.
A type of pre film promotional poster containing simple image or design that were only informative enough to get people talking and start making assumptions about the upcoming film.
When people start talking and make assumptions, this type of situation is known as HYPE. Hype is a form of Marketing strategy or more informally known as a “fad. This is a scenario where something is advertised as a must have or in the case of movies, a must see. This therefore leads to people beginning to feel like they NEED to see the movie or to buy the product that has been injected with hype.
The movie poster designers.
There are quite a few Distinctive characters that are legendary in the world of movie poster design and I believe it would be appropriate to shed some light on the creators of some of the most sought after movies of all time of which their posters are now worth big bucks as they retire from their primary objective as advertising campaigns into the life of movie memorabilia and collectibles.
-Created posters for over 135 films over the course of his career.
– First poster ever created was in 1974 for the Mel Brooks film “blazing saddles”
– Most recognised assignments were E.T the extra- Terrestrial, Blade Runner, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, The colour Purple, Gremlins and an anniversary poster for Star wars.
– Prolific American Realist artist
– technical artist at North American Aviation during WW2
– Famous movie poster designs include: Creature from the black lagoon, Attack of the 50 foot woman, Spartacus
-American Graphic designer with thousands of movie posters on his track record
– First poster was Yankee Doodle Dandy 1941, most recent work – J. Edgar 2011.
-Famous poster designs include: A Clockwork Orange, Casablanca, For your eyes only
– American advertising art director, graphic designer and illustrator
– Most famous movie that posters were designed for is star wars
-Historical artist who focuses mainly on the American Civil War
– The Taking of Pelham one two three was one of the assignments he did Design for
– track record of over 1200 paperback book covers and over 40 movie posters
– Most popular film and his first film poster assignment was breakfast at Tiffany’s.
– Also did Poster design for Casino Royale (James Bond)
-Most famous for innovative design and development of the modern movie poster
– artwork has been on cover of time magazine, Tv Guide, Sports illustrated and even US Postage stamps
– Famous works include Camelot, The Spy who loved me, Apocalypse Now
-American painter and illustrator famous for paintings of Native Americans
– created magazine covers, story illustrations and advertising art for popular publishing firms such as reader’s digest, Time, Newsweek
– Famous poster designs include lawrence of Arabia, Cleopatra, Sound of music